The Workshop on Burlington Parade
Burlington Parade was built around 1890 by a local investor by the name of Mr Squires.
The name originates from a South African town of the same name where Mr Squires had invested in shares in the local mining company. They struck gold; he made a nice profit, which he invested in the building of the shops and accommodation in Chislehurst. In 1898 he added Burlington Terrace, which originally housed the Co-Op.
Some of the longer-lasting businesses have operated from numbers 62 and 64, with the “Workshop” being the trading name of K.P. & S.A. Pearce for over 30 years.
Prior to then, we have No: 62 being a bootmakers’ from 1891 until the late 1930s under the ownership of:
1891-1895 James Ashfield
1895-1916 Charles Ashfield
1928 & 1933 Hy Hickman
Then, in 1940, it became the first Ironmongers’ under the ownership of H & C Simmons & Son.
|Then, in 1940, it became the first Ironmongers’ under the ownership of H & C Simmons & Son.
No: 64, which was a separate residence until Barkway & Clark’s, was always a Draper’s Store, but under several owners that we know of:
1891 T. J. Powell
1896 Mrs Parkes
1909 W. G. Goodbody
1911 Francis Mary Hay
1916 Miss E. Collin
1928 – 1940 Cha. Surfling