The medieval church of St Nicholas has been on its present site for a thousand years, though rebuilt many times. For most of that time, it was the only place of worship here. St Mary’s Church was built in the middle of the 19th Century, followed by a flurry of new churches. Church-going was an important part of social life in Victorian England, and the rise in middle-class residents following the arrival of the railway required more churches – three new churches were built within a period of five years.
Much of the cost of the new churches was funded by local residents.
St Nicholas’ Church, Manor Park Road
Medieval Parish Church, with tower and broach spire. South aisle 1849. Scadbury Chapel with finely carved screen, circa 1460. Walsingham Tomb and many memorial tablets.
St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Crown Lane/Hawkwood Lane
1854 ragstone, Early English style, by William Wardell. Chapel 1874, by Henry Clutton, in French Gothic style. Memorials to Prince Imperial and Napoleon III. Fine rose window.
Church of the Annunciation, High Street
1868-1870 ragstone, in Early English style, by James Brooks; later work, including tower, by Edward J May, circa 1930. Interesting interior, wall paintings and mosaic. Spectacular view from Tower.
Methodist Church, Prince Imperial Road
1868-1870 ragstone, Early English style. Tall stone spire, rose window, apsidal chancel. Finely carved lectern. Sir George Hayter Chubb was a significant benefactor.
Christ Church, Lubbock Road
1872 ragstone, in Early English style, by Habershon and Pite. Contains some fine stained glass.
St Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Red Hill
1930 cinema converted to Church in 1961. Retains original tip-up seating. Projection room is now the organ loft.
St John’s Mission Church was built in 1886. The architect was Edward Crutchloe, and construction was in red and yellow bricks. It was given a bell turret, and because of the steep slope, there was enough space for mission rooms below the body of the church.. Congregations dwindled in the 20thC and in 1938 worship ceased, and eventually, the building was given over to commercial use. It was demolished in 1998, replaced by housing.