Stop 21: Farringtons School
Farringtons School in 1911
..and in 2013
Travelling along Bromley Lane you will pass through Shepherds Green. The five houses which line the southern edge of the Green are splendid examples of the Arts and Craft movement. They are among the best works of local architect Edward J.May.
Farringtons School sits to the east of Shepherds Green. An old mansion dating back to the 17th century stood here. Before it fell into disrepair, the house had been home to several families, including three generations of the Farrington family who lived there during the late 17th and early 18th centuries, and it is from this connection that the school took its name.
The land for the school was bought in 1908 to create a Methodist girls' school as a sister school to a very successful Methodist boy's school, The Leys School, in Cambridge. It was felt that the daughters of Methodist families would benefit from a good education just as much as their brothers. The first Governor of the school when it was opened in 1911 was Sir George Chubb (later Lord Hayter), the grandson of the founder of the Chubb Lock and Safe Company. Queen Mary visited the school in 1925.
The chapel at Farringtons School was built in 1934; the huge bronze doors were cast in Australia at Chubb's works in Sydney.
|Sir Ted Willis, playwright and author, lived at number 5 Shepherds Green, recently renovated|
|Continue eastwards turning right into Old Perry Street immediately after the school.|