Stop 20: The War Memorial
A quiet location in 1924...
...but not now!
The War Memorial at the crossroads by Royal Parade was unveiled on Chislehurt Common on Sunday 17th October 1920 by Lt Colonel F Edlmann, D.S.O (who lived at Hawkwood House). The photograph on the right was taken on the day of the unveiling.
The memorial has the names inscribed of the 186 local men who died in the First World War, and a further 65 who died in the Second World War.
The memorial is about 8 metres tall, is from a design by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and is similar to the traditional Imperial (later Commonwealth) War Graves Commission Cross and Sword of Sacrifice, seen in their cemeteries in many parts of the world. It cost £1,000 to design, build and erect.
Ninety years on, the memorial is in good condition, though is now at the centre of a busy traffic intersection. The inscribed words: 'In Proud and grateful memory of the Men of Chislehurst, Fallen in the Great War, 1914-1919', and 'They gave us Peace by their Warfare, and Life by their Death' are re-read each November by the many who attend the annual Remembrance Service held here.