Stop 17: Holbrook Lane
Holbrook Lane from its junction with Bull Lane
This short lane was laid down in the 17th century for access road from Bull Lane to Holbrook House to the south. The house was demolished in 1960.
The older houses now on Holbrook Lane were built in the early 20th century, in varying styles, but predominantly Arts and Crafts style. The older houses to the north were smaller cottage-style houses, while those to the south were more substantial.
Edward J. May was a prominent local architect who designed (at least) five houses here in varying styles that make for interesting comparison: No.9 The Homestead, 1909, No.27, Mainstay Lodge, 1922, No.39, Lockers, 1927, No.41, Quatre Fils, 1926, and Antokil (formerly Oak House, and a VAD hospital in 1914), 1912.
More recent developments have filled out many of the earlier open spaces, but Holbrook Lane still maintains something of a rural feeling.
|Until recently there was a bowling green just before Paddock Way, backing onto the allotments|
|Turn left into Bull Lane|